Mr Vinod Menon is a highly experienced laparoscopic upper gastrointestinal & obesity surgeon and cancer specialist working in Coventry, Warwickshire and in Leamington Spa. He has carried out over 1000 bariatric (obesity) and 300 Oesophago-gastric cancer operations with excellent outcomes. Mr Menon is currently President of British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) having served previously as Treasurer & Honorary Secretary. He also served as member of council of Association of Upper GI Surgery of Great Britain & Ireland (AUGIS).
Mr Menon is committed to giving patients access to the best possible care in the safest environment. He offers safe and effective bariatric/metabolic surgery and is dedicated to empowering people affected by obesity.
His NHS practice is at the University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust where he served as Clinical Director for General Surgery, Vascular, Urology, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, ENT, Head & Neck, Maxillofacial, Audiology, Gastroenterology, Endoscopy services, AAA & Colorectal screening for 11 years until January 2019.
Mr Menon is closely associated with teaching, research and global health initiatives at the University of Warwick in his role as Honorary Associate Clinical Professor since 2015. Mr Menon’s private practices are at BMI The Meriden Hospital in Coventry, BMI The Droitwich Spa Hospital and the Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital in Leamington Spa.He is also the Clinical Chair at BMI Meriden Hospital.
Mr Vinod Menon graduated from University of Kerala (India) in 1989 and completed his basic and higher surgical training on the All Wales Surgical Training Programme.
He was appointed as Consultant Upper Gastro-intestinal & Laparoscopic surgeon at the University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust in January 2003. He has been the clinical lead for oesophago-gastric cancer surgery for 15 years till 2019, and clinical lead for bariatric surgery since 2008.
Mr Menon also serves as Director of the West Midlands Surgical Training Centre (WMSTC), one of the best cadaveric training facilities in the UK. He is the Section Editor (Bariatrics) of the Oxford Textbook of General Surgery and also Section Editor of the Springer Textbook of Obesity, Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery.
The team, led by Mr Menon has evolved into a key cancer treatment centre with excellent outcomes & fully comprehensive multi-disciplinary services.
Memberships & Affiliations:
- UHCW NHS Trust
- British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland (AUGIS)
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland (ASGBI)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (RCPSG)
- Obesity Empowerment Network (OEN)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- Medical & Dental Defence Union of Scotland (MDDUS)
- Life Member of the Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
- Life Member of Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Specialist Register of General Medical Council (GMC)
- National Bariatric Surgery Register (NSBR)
- Surgeon specific outcome reports for Bariatric Surgery (NSBR)
- International Federation for Surgery of Obesity (IFSO)
- University of Warwick (UOW)
- Warwick Medical School (WMS)
- FRCS (General Surgery) 2001
- FRCS (Glasg) 1995
- MS 1992
- MBBS 1988